Newport Registration District:
Created 1st July 1837. Mainly in Monmouthshire, but included part of Glamorganshire.
Sub-districts : Caerleon; Mynyddslwyn; Newport; St. Woollos.
GRO volumes : XXVI (1837-51); 11b (1852-1930).
Bettws, Bishton, Caerleon, Caerleon ultra Pontern, Christchurch, Coedkernew, Duffryn, Goldcliff, Graig, Henllis, Kemeys Inferior, Llandevenny, Llangattock, Llangstone, Llanhennock, Llanmartin, Llanwern, Llanvaches, Llanvihangel Llantarnam, Lower Bedwas, Lower Machen, Magor, Malpas, Marshfield, Mynyddslwyn, Nash, Newport, Penhow, Peterstone, Redwick, Risca, Rogerstone, Rumney (from 1895), St. Bride Wentllonge, St. Mellons (from 1895), St. Woollos, Tredunnock, Upper Bedwas, Upper Machen, Whitson, Wilcrick.
Penhow, Newport, Monmouthshire
Penhow (Welsh: Pen-hw) is a small village and community parish on the eastern edge of the boundary of the of the city of Newport, South Wales.
It is best known for Penhow Castle, which has claims to be the oldest inhabited castle in Wales. It was built as a home for one of the knights who served the Norman Lord at Chepstow Castle. Sir Roger de St Maur was the first Norman owner of Penhow and he built a tower house in which to live. Documentary evidence shows that he was at Penhow by 1129. It was the first British home of the family who would later rise to national prominence under the more familiar name of Seymour.
St. Wollos, Newport, Monmouthshire
ST. WOOLLOS, also known as St. Woolos, is a parish in the upper division of Wentllooge hundred, county Monmouth, containing the western portion of the town and borough of Newport.